Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thoughts

My 250th Post

So lately I have been doing a lot of thinking on education. I feel like education is an important part of life. I can't think of a time where I have not enjoyed education except for law school. I didn't like law school and maybe that was a sign I didn't heed but anyway moving on. When I was younger I knew I didn't understand science. It was just too abstract for me--I know that makes no sense. I guess the best way to describe it is I need an example of what you are telling me. It isn't easy to give an example of everything scientific. I liked the simple math but when they started adding letters they lost me. I hated building on to something. Math just got harder. I understood but didn't like it much. I loved English and History. They just made sense to me. History was set in stone--I just had to learn it. English was English.

But the real point of this post is that I noticed that people are taking education for granted and not putting forth their best efforts. You can't put all the blame on the individual because there are people who are allowing it to happen. The best example I have of this is my 14 year old cousin. She is a freshman in high school. Her mother doesn't help her much with school work. I don't know if it is because she feels inadequate or what. Anyway my cousin will either ask me or my mother for help. When I help that is all I do is help. We will work on it together. I will give input and she will determine if that is correct. My mother on the other hand is just going to do the work for her. She has had two projects that we have known about this year and my mother has done both of them. She had to make a banner with Adink.ra symbols. My mother had one of her coworkers draw the banner. The second thing was a report on any state other than Georgia. My mother wrote the report and got somebody to draw a picture of the state. The sad thing is my mother is a teacher so she should know better. The other issue I had was that she got the information from a 1988 encyclopedia (you read that right). Obviously any numbers or figures were just wrong. Then my mother tried to change the date in the bibliography. Maybe the teacher won't fact check but the information is just wrong. What is the world coming to when an educator condones such actions. Trust and believe my mother never outright did my work. She would help but she never did it.

No comments: